Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Surgery and After


I haven't been able to have long nails for 23 years. That's how long I've been practicing massage therapy. I decided since I was getting surgery and my hands would be sliced, stitched and bandaged, that I should celebrate them and the hard work they do with a manicure. Since I
couldn't make a decision on a single color, I decided to go for them all. A little distracting I know, but my 7 year old daughter thinks they're "beautiful"!

With my hands ready for a party I headed off for surgery on Monday at 6:00 am. My surgery was scheduled for 8:15 and I was promptly taken in. 30 minutes later I was waking up as they were cleaning off my left hand. Short and uneventful, just like all surgery should be.
My hands remained numb for a good 5 to 6 hours after that from the local anesthesia that was used. Just enough time to do some shopping and stop off at the Diner for breakfast. After that I headed home to rest for the rest of the day. I figured I may as well take advantage of the situation.

For the next two days I couldn't open the refrigerator door, pull the blanket over me or turn on the faucet without feeling pressure in the surgical site, but nothing that I would call pain. So far it has all been uneventful. I am starting Occupational Therapy tomorrow, three days after the surgery. This is when my work will begin. As of now, I am still numb in the three middle fingers on both hands. Just as I was before the surgery. Of course, I was hoping that the tingling would miraculously stop, but my Doctor never promised me that the numbness would go away. I had suffered from tingling and numbness consistently for the past three months, so there may actually be irreparable nerve damage done. Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. SUE! I love the nails. I had no idea you had surgery till I opened your e-newsletter today.... I'm reading your posts here and catching up. Hope you;re feeling better and stronger every day. Love on ya!

    ReplyDelete